Good Thursday Morning!!! Waking up to the birds chirping, nice breeze through the window, and relaxing in bed make me want to just roll over and…STAY IN BED.
The thing is, I’ve made a 5 day plan to get in a minimum of 3.5 miles in daily. I’ve gotten to 5 miles a day and that endorphin drip right there starts my day off right.
However, there are days I’m JUST NOT FEELING IT. However, I push myself to get up and get moving.
Pushing yourself, for many, could be a simple motivational quote, a song, or you just telling yourself to move.
For me, I need visuals…
See the Thick chic to the right, in the grey top…That’s me. Laughing and joking with my girls. I had NO CLUE I actually looked like this. I really gave up on myself and didn’t pay attention to what I needed to do for me.
Fast forward to 2020, 162 pounds lighter and focused on making sure I DO NOT RETURN to that place. At the time, there were a lot of things going on, Depression-Heartache-Complete Unhappiness- and absolutely no focus to do better for myself. You really couldn’t tell from the laughter in the picture, my girls always had my back and made me laugh. Either way, this picture reminds me to get up and take care of me.
This is the type of visual/motivation I use to get up and push myself. Funny thing is, once I’m up and moving, I feel sooo much better when I’m done. Those endorphins make me feel as if I can conquer the world, at least for the day :).
So what’s your motivation? What gets you moving? I’m sure you were like me with alll the excuses in the world:
- Healthy food is expensive when you have to shop for a family.
- My knees hurt
- I’m tired
- I don’t have the right gym clothes
- I don’t like working out alone
- I’ll start on a Sunday, to get a FULL week.
The list goes on but, you can push yourself to get moving! Try these simple activities, 5 days a week, for at least 30 mins a day, and you will feel the difference:
- Walk in your neighborhood 15 mins in the morning, 15 mins at night (or more) if you can.
- Play outside with the kids; kickball, soccer, hide n seek
- Go for a walk with your boo after dinner.
- Join a virtual Zumba class
- Pull up 30 min dance classes on YouTube
- Join a gym (when they open) and do 15 min cardio or participate in the classes
- Take a pole/exotic dance class
- Find a fun workout that will get you moving at home.
- Ask a friend to workout with you, that will keep you on a schedule and accountable.
These are just a few ideas to get you up and moving. Give yourself a goal and make a plan to get moving. Once you start, you’ll find that your body will begin to crave the activity.
ATTENTION: working out is only half of the solution. You will need to change your diet as well!!
That’s another post for another day, for now, JUST GET MOVING!!!
Trust me, when you make time for yourself, to make a change, the rewards are SUPER SWEET!!!
– J. Robinson, Dope Chic